Scarsdale Side Chair
This is a Side chair. It was attributed to Thomas How. It is dated 1724–36 and we acquired it in 1926. Its medium is walnut and beechwood, gilt pewter, gilt and reverse-painted glass (verre églomisé) panel, mortise-and-tenon construction. It is a part of the Product Design and Decorative Arts department.
This unusual chair has the original owner’s (the fourth Earl of Scarsdale’s) coat of arms reverse-painted on glass on the back mount. Part of a set that included settees and pedestals, it complemented the architectural changes of the Earl’s house, Sutton Scarsdale, begun in 1724. The Kanes may have purchased the chair in London.
John Innes Kane and his wife, Annie Schermerhorn Kane, played a major role in forming the collections of the early Cooper Union Museum. Both were members of prominent New York families. Mr. Kane, great-grandson of John Jacob Astor, also served on the museum’s Advisory Council. The Kanes collected in Europe to furnish their Italian Renaissance residence on Fifth Avenue, designed by Stanford White and completed in 1904. The objects donated by the Kanes are generally English and Continental European, from the Renaissance through the 18th century.
This object was
Mrs. John Innes Kane.
It is credited
Bequest of Mrs. John Innes Kane.
Our curators have highlighted 5 objects that are related to this one. Here are three of them, selected at random:
Its dimensions are
H x W x D: 104.1 x 55 x 57 cm (41 in. x 21 5/8 in. x 22 7/16 in.)
It is inscribed
VI on seat rail
Cite this object as
Scarsdale Side Chair; Attributed to Thomas How (British, active 1710 - 33); England; walnut and beechwood, gilt pewter, gilt and reverse-painted glass (verre églomisé) panel, mortise-and-tenon construction; H x W x D: 104.1 x 55 x 57 cm (41 in. x 21 5/8 in. x 22 7/16 in.); Bequest of Mrs. John Innes Kane; 1926-22-58
This object was previously on display as a part of the exhibition Hewitt Sisters Collect.