Reproduction, Mural for Embassy Court, The Progress of Brighton
Kauffer’s The Progress of Brighton mural enlivened the entrance hall of the Embassy Court apartment building in Brighton, built by Wells Coates in 1935. In Kauffer’s design, the façade of the Brighton pavilion and statues that he photographed in Paris float along a horizon line with oversize maritime elements inspired by the paintings of Edward Wadsworth. The mural was installed by architectural decorators Eugene Mollo and Michael Egan using a patented technique that combined photography and painting.
It is credited
Courtesy of Blue Storm.
Its dimensions are
H x W: 154.9 × 1052.8 cm (5 ft. 1 in. × 34 ft. 6 1/2 in.)
This object was previously on display as a part of the exhibition Underground Modernist: E. McKnight Kauffer.